We agree to immediately leave all fears and excuses on the beach. Well dropped you in the childhood from the boat into the pond, and you, to the surprise of these lovely people, did not swim to the shore with a mermaid. You will think - with whom does not happen. An experienced coach will work as your personal psychologist and help cope with the fear of water in two counts. And if you have not learned to swim in an unconscious age and now you are afraid that you will look inelegant and stupid at the lessons in the pool, just trust us - you will not.
The pool is almost the first place to go if you want to have a beautiful and healthy body (and who does not want it?). Scientists from Indiana University found that swimmers of all ages (it's not about athletes, but about ordinary people who regularly dissect waves) on the body more dry muscle mass, slimmer waist and thighs compared to those who ignore the water. In this sport, the winner gets everything. And now we will explain why. Only immediately adjust to the battle mood. We just feel sorry for spending time on those who barely flank along the paths "frog" in an uncomfortable cap with huge rubber flowers. Let them chat with each other at the side. And we have a serious conversation.
The floats for the figure
American experts say that even for an hour of a leisurely swim, 500 kilocalories can be burned. A powerful training pulls on all the minus 700. but notes at the same time: it all depends on the swimmer's technique and training. Since water is about 800 times denser than air, your movements in the pool are like exercises with resistance, and practically for any muscles of the body, especially the bark, arms, shoulders, hips and buttocks. This means that water procedures also spur the metabolism - calories continue to melt after the swim.
At the same time, the water is very good to you. On the one hand, it gives the body a heavy load, on the other hand - it itself smooths it. Since you are in a state of hydrostatic weightlessness, the spine and all joints do not strain, but rest. Therefore, you can swim almost every day and throughout life. What can not be said, for example, about strength training. Do you want more arguments? You are welcome. Researchers from the American Indiana University Bloomington claim that those who regularly swim are biologically younger than their real age for a couple of decades! And they support this bold conclusion with life-affirming data on the level of cholesterol, the state of the cardiovascular and central nervous systems, cognitive functioning and blood pressure of swimmers. We hope that research does not lie. And that's what we know for sure.
Having swam without fatigue
Most newcomers come to the pool with great expectations and tremendous enthusiasm. In a childish enthusiasm jump into the water with the intention of swimming well at least half an hour without a break. And what in the end? After 4 minutes, such a grief-athlete hangs on the side, in dyspnea and with a red face. Alas, but the tactics of lightning fast conquering the elements in the hope of quickly losing weight is doomed to failure. The thing is that in the water your muscles and cardiovascular system do not work the way you do on land. The lungs have to adapt to breathe in a different way, and the muscles and joints - to learn how to work together in a team. So first you have to concentrate not on fat.
"I regularly observe how 70-80% of pool visitors swim incorrectly. Many women, for example, are afraid of messing up their hair or makeup. Instead of learning to swim technically, - says Andrei Mikhailov. - And this is necessary, otherwise you will not come to anything. When a newcomer decides only the task of fat burning, then aggravates his orthopedic problems. And then it begins: the nerves in the neck are numbed, the fingers grow numb. The client is swimming, but it's getting worse and worse. " At the same time, the expert says that training on technique will still give a fat burning effect, because they are new for you - which means they are very energy intensive. But it is worthwhile to prioritize.
The key to effective training on the water - in a variety: you need to combine the intervals of work and recovery, use more than one style and change the intensity level. If the shock swim is not yet on your shoulder, test such a scheme. Swim four lengths of the 25-meter pool at a light level of intensity (if necessary, restore breathing at the sides). Then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat the swim 5-10 times. And do it two or three times a week for the first 14 days. If you row until uncertain, take the plaque to the helper for four first lengths. And when you get stronger, try the "Water Program".
Body swimmer: your figure after the pool
Runners have beautiful legs, yogis have stomach, and swimmers get a "full package", and exclusive: smooth, elastic, tightened muscles and unsharpmed contours of the body. And do not be afraid that your shoulders will increase in size, and your arms will become huge, - this is complete nonsense.
The training plan for slimness in the pool
Swim in the tracks is much more interesting and effective if you have a plan. For example, such as this, developed by Joel Shinofield, the coach of the American Washington and Lee University. The intensity level is measured on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is a very weak voltage (as if you are simply splashing on the waves of a sea resort), and 10 is the maximum load.
* The length of most of the pools is 25 meters, but there are also 50 meters long, built according to the Olympic standard.
Andrei Mikhailov advises combining different types of programs in terms of intensity and focus, including calm swimming and interval training, alternating styles and making friends with special devices, such as swimming blades or short sports fins. The first increase the area of the brush. The second work as weighting agents, increase speed and efficiency (it floats as if easier and the balance is kept easier), and at the same time improves mobility of the ankle. In general, dear, do not deny yourself anything!
How does swimming affect health?
The pressure of water on the chest during swimming makes you overcome this additional resistance when you inhale and, on the contrary, helps to make the maximum exhalation. Such work is a balm for your lungs: they strengthen, their vital capacity and depth of breathing increase, the ability to pass oxygen into the blood increases . Occupations in the water strengthen the ventilation of the lungs, and they are much faster cleared, and the movement of the diaphragm stimulates the massage of internal organs.
- "Swimming can help where other training is contraindicated," says Andrei Mikhailov. - The first and most important thing is orthopedic problems . On land, the joints are in a compression state and receive less nutrients. In the water they "breathe", and the joints are our everything. Those who have problems with the musculoskeletal system, injuries, in fact, can only swim (after consulting a doctor for choosing a style). The second point is the cardiovascular system. It works in a comfortable state, the vessels receive sufficient tone, there are no contraindications for varicose veins. This is not all. With the help of swimming, you can restore the heart muscle after complications. "
- The work of muscles on resistance also contributes to strengthening the cardiovascular system .
- If this is not enough for you, we add that swimming strengthens the immune system (especially if you work for endurance, with calm breathing and a steady pulse) and calms your nerves.
Find your style of swimming
Favor among amateur swimmers (still, it is easy to unlearn and burn calories with terrible force). But we are not looking for easy (and boring) ways. Moreover, different techniques focus on different muscles. Here are two more.
Swimming on the back
The most useful kind for the spine. Improves posture by working on the muscles of the back and shoulders.
- Eyes up. Instead of looking at your toes (which you did not see there?), Look straight at the sky or ceiling. Otherwise, the hips will start to fall down, and so it is impossible: the head should be in line with the spine.
- Make a game. Lead back each arm at an angle of 45 degrees to the body. So the strokes will be stronger, and on the shoulders will lie less stress.
Involves the muscles of the external and internal surface of the thigh, which are often overlooked in other exercises.
Overlap. Lie on water, stretching in a line. Straighten your arms forward, palm together. Turning your palms outwards, take them down. Now get your hands on your chest (like holding a plate) and pull it again.
Fitting. Bend your knees and pull your heels to your buttocks. Turn your toes to the sides and stumps your legs in the direction of the back and to each other (the "frog") when you throw your hands forward.
Learning how to swim with a crawl
- Head and shoulders: stretch the head and neck in line with the spine, relax your shoulders. Look at the black line at the bottom of the pool, the head in the neutral position. So the hips will not go under the water. The head should seem to rotate on the axis of the spine, and the turn is the body.
- Hands: rowing, point your fingers down. Let them draw an imaginary line on the bottom. And do not put your hands in the "bowl". It will be much easier for them to lead you forward in a relaxed state with slightly spaced fingers. The main energy of the movement goes with the twisting of the waist, the hands seem to cling to the water, and the muscles of the legs and the press move the body forward relative to the "point of the hook".
- Elbows: Should always be above the wrists.
- Triceps: end each stroking by stretching your arm along the body, so that your palm is next to your thigh.
- Hips: Rotational movement starts from the hips and bark. With each stroke, turn your hips by 45 degrees, simultaneously starting the movement with your hand (you can roll on your side almost to the level of the vertical).
- Feet: keep relaxed, close to each other and in line with the whole body. Do them about six strokes with each stroke.
- Mouth: inhale them - on your side, do not lift your head from the water. Exhale (ideally them) under the water calmly and gradually to the breath. Classic swimming: three strokes - one breath (to watch the rivals right and left). Although it is more convenient to inhale in one direction.
"Sailed": training after swimming
8 exercises on land, prompted by water, which will adequately complete any swim.
This training, compiled by Chris Hauchens, the coach of the YMCA Indy SwimFit team (Indiana, USA), is an ideal addition to the swimming session. It will help to approach the forms of Aphrodite even faster, using those few muscles that skip swimming, and strengthening the rest to hone your strokes. Two or three times a week, do two sets of these movements in this order, as soon as you emerge from the pool. You can in shoes or barefoot. If the floor is concrete or slippery, cover it with a towel - it will be beautiful and safe.
- Lie down face down, stretch your arms forward, palms down, legs together. Tear your arms and legs a few centimeters from the floor, then simultaneously raise your left arm and your right foot 15-20 cm higher (A).
- Without dropping your head and chest, swap your arms and legs as in the picture (B).
- This is one repetition. Do it 10.
- From the initial push-up position, lifting the hips, stand in the dog's pose with the muzzle down: the legs are straight, the heels are only slightly torn from the floor (A).
- From this position, lower your hips to the floor, while lifting your chest and moving the weight forward - into the dog face up (B). Wrap the movement back to the starting position.
- This is one repetition. Your goal is three or four.
Push-ups with a shifted center of gravity
- Prepare to push-up by placing your left hand on the rolled towel (A).
- Go down, chest as close to the floor (B). Return to the starting position.
- Do five or six repetitions, then repeat with the right hand on the towel.
If it's hard, simplify your task by bending your knees with the floor.
- Stand up, slightly bent knees, hands at the seams (A).
- Raise your right foot, tilt the torso parallel to the floor and spread your arms out to the side so that they line up with the shoulders (palm down) (B). Come back to the start.
- This is one repetition. Do ten, then change your legs and repeat.
If you can not keep your balance, cling to a chair, a tree, a swimming instructor or other reliable support.
Bridge with props
- Lie on his back, bending his legs, feet completely on the floor. Clamp the rolled towel between the knees (A).
- Raise the hips so that the body is stretched in a straight line from the shoulders to the knees. Do not let the towel fall (B).
- Hold in this position, then lower your hips to the floor.
- Do 8-12 repetitions.
- Lie on your back so that your hands and feet "draw" X. Stretch the corset and raise your head, arms and legs a few centimeters from the floor (A).
- From this position, approximate the right arm and left leg to each other so that they almost connect at the abdominal level (B).
- Go back to the start and do the same in the other direction.
- This is one repetition. Do it 8-12.
Movement should be slow, clear and smooth at the same time.
Side lath with arm extension
- Stand in the side bar: the left elbow on the floor just under the shoulder, the right arm is stretched along the body, the right foot in front of the left (A).
- With one movement, gently lower the hips down and immediately raise them as high as possible, stretching the right hand over your head (B).
- Go back to the start and continue. Do 8-12 repetitions on each side.
- Lie down face down, stretch your arms to the sides at shoulder level (A).
- Tear the right leg off the floor, bend it at the knee 90 degrees and, turning the torso, touch the floor with the left hand (B). Hold for 2 seconds, then go back to the start.
- Repeat the other way and continue to alternate your legs until you do 8-12 repetitions for each.
Tips for newcomers from Natalia Ishchenko
To help all inexperienced swimmers, we called on the world-class pro. The wide-ranging amateur questions formulated by the WH editor were answered by the Olympic champion, the 16-time world synchronized swimming champion, the face of the Braun Silk-épil 7 epilator series, Natalya Ischenko.
At what age is it better to start swimming and with what, from which style?
It's never too late to learn. But, if we talk about children, I would advise giving them to the pool at a conscious age - five to seven years. Until that time the child still does not quite understand what they want from him. As for the technique, usually everyone starts with a freestyle - that is, with a rabbit. And, in general, they do it right. He after all the most simple. First you are taught to stand on your feet, then on your hands, and then everything is connected together.
What to think about before jumping into the pool?
On the side it is necessary to warm up: stretch the humeral, knee and all other joints, warm up the muscles. Otherwise, you can easily earn an injury. Water sneaks the load, but here it can be more than in the gym.
How to breathe so that water does not get into the nose?
Over time, technology comes to the point that you just stop noticing how you breathe, and the water does not fill up. Many, when they study, breathe out underwater through the nose, but this, in fact, is not very convenient. We, athletes, breathe only the mouth, even without clamps. When the exhalation is underwater, the septa in the nose close themselves, and if you swim really well, nothing is poured. To begin with, you can practice by simply standing in the pool and immersing your face in the water.
And moving underwater, how to act, so as not to suffocate and not constantly float "float" in the form of a fifth point?
You need to start with a few strokes, gradually increasing their number. First, it is better to exhale underwater immediately, then the body adapts to the "underwater" state and will automatically cope with the breathing. Professional athletes easily swim without emerging on 75 meters. But the beginner should be cautious: if too carried away, can lose consciousness from the lack of oxygen, so he constantly needs someone to follow. And in order not to float, you need to row with your hands down and forward, your legs should be slightly higher than your hands.
How to learn to dive?
Better, of course, do it under the supervision of a specialist. But, in any case, in order not to land flat, the advice is: keep your hands straight and tense together near the head, sit down and gently enter the water at an angle of 45 degrees to its surface, with your hands taking the brunt to the body did not beat against the water. You need to start from a low surface, then go to the curb. For jumping into the water there are special pools - 6 meters, in a shallow dive is extremely dangerous.
How to pick up glasses so that they do not leave bruises and sit comfortably?
First of all, you can not save on them - go for a good brand in a company store. Glasses should have silicone cushions on the rim and a set of nose bridge, which can be adjusted for yourself. When choosing, rely on your feelings: in order not to have any discomfort, the frame rests snugly, but does not put pressure anywhere. Traces to one degree or another leave all the glasses. But try not to overtighten the bands.
Can a mere mortal use the elements of synchronized swimming in his water training?
There is such an exercise - "Eg-bit-up" (translated from English - "whisk eggs"). You are vertical in the water (at a sufficient depth to not touch the bottom), the head - above the surface. Meanwhile, the legs, working in the knee, alternately perform horizontal circular movements. Socks do not stretch, they must be relaxed. First you can help yourself to keep afloat with your hands. And then gradually raise up one or the other hand or both at once. In this movement, almost all the muscles of the legs are straining, from the calves to the inner and outer surfaces of the thigh. You need to start rowing at ten and gradually increase the number. You can hold on for 10 minutes - congratulate yourself with an excellent result. Perform the exercise better after the swim, when the muscles are already warmed up.