Remember, in "Jane's Soldier", the master chief, John James, is drumming the demi Moore heroine and other "fur seals", saying: "Pain is your friend. She will let you know if you are seriously injured, will remind you that you need to finish the job and go home. But do you know what is most important? The pain means that you are still alive! "
With the master-chef you can not argue - short, capacious, true. Pain is the body's signal system. It is necessary in order to stop the destructive effect (pull your hand away from the hot kettle), "exclude" the injured organ from work (to jump on the right leg if the left one is broken). And to get you to go to the doctor in time.
In this case, reacting to pain, the body, as a rule, begins protective or restorative work. If a virus gets into it, you feel unwell. While you're going to the pharmacy, the immunity is already working on the problem. It seems that everything is simple.
But it's worth putting on hairpins, because of which the spine seems to dig into the back muscles, the system starts to work worse. True, the pharmacy sells so many beautiful tablets that you can forget about the alarm function of pain. Does this mean that it is worth erasing the medicine from the heart? No - you need to learn to understand and interpret pain.
- Somatic - a problem in the skin, muscles, joints, bones and connective tissues.
- Visceral - pain of internal organs.
- Neuropathic - occurs when nerve cells are damaged.
- Psychological. And this does not mean that pain is imaginary. The catch is that you can feel discomfort not where the problem is. A classic example - in case of a heart attack a person experiences pain in the hand. There are a lot of such strange things in the body. For example, the pain of the internal organs is poorly localized - everything suffers, or even discomfort manifests itself on the skin.
Your perception of pain"The perception of pain depends on many factors: gender, age, intellectual level, emotional state. Sometimes the expectation of discomfort is more painful than the pain itself, "explains the resuscitating physician Sergei Georgiev and, seemingly, smiles bloodthirstily in the telephone receiver.
We feel the discomfort much more strongly if upset or depressed. This seems obvious, but researchers will not believe that the Earth is round until they gather enough evidence. So, for example, neuroscientist Irene Tracy from Oxford University checked the work of anesthetics.
She asked the volunteers to keep their hands in containers of hot water and at the same time gave participants anesthetizing tablets and a placebo. And those who took a placebo, Irene reported this in the middle of the process. It turned out that the perception of pain varies greatly depending on the mood. So how do you learn how to control this feeling?
How to manage painThere are situations where pain can not be avoided. What to do? Manage yourself.
The American Pain Foundation recommends keeping a diary. There it is necessary to write down what and how much it suffers (see the scale of pain), whether the weather changed on this day and many other things. This will help to find the problem and its solution.
- "During an attack of a headache, I often" find "myself behind a pedicure. I can handle the thumb so that it heals a week later. But it distracts from the main problem, "Olga admits. In principle, this is an extreme but quite working method. Acupressure, mustard plasters for caviar are excellent remedies for headaches. But remember the rule: the distracting effect must be sufficiently tangible, but not more traumatic than the disease. Paragraph 1
- "I stopped watching Doctor House," Elena admits. - At first there was nothing, and then so was involved, that all signs began to appear. No, not the same as Jerome K. Jerome, who found everything but a maternity fever. The pulse began to accelerate, as in House's patients, and if I sat down to watch a series of colds, the recovery was significantly delayed. "Item 2
Sociologist Natalia said that she knows how to manage a migraine: "When the attack begins, I remember that the unpleasant happened in the last few days. Perhaps this is a trifle, which I did not immediately notice. But as soon as I find out where the failure was, I feel like I've got a needle out of my brain. " And the photographer Dmitry says that he visualizes the pain: he presents it as a black substance, which he mentally compresses to the size of a tennis ball, and then pushes it out of the body.
Everyone has his own way of coping with pain. The main thing is to want this. The authors of the successful book "Self-Hypnosis" in the United States, Brian M. Alman and Peter T. Lambro explain that strong motivation is needed to master the technique. After all, pain is also a way to work through the sleeves or get more attention from loved ones.
Visual scale intensity of pain Wong-BakerThis is not our art director practicing in drawing, in fact it is a real and used by the doctors a scale of determining the intensity of pain .
0 - None
2 - Can be ignored
4 - Inhibits activity
6 - Prevents concentration
8 - Mitigates basic needs
10 - Requires bed rest